Create a simple paper Christmas tree ornament gift box using our free template. This free template is ready colored and will print a ready-to-make Christmas tree ornament.
This is a flexible little project. You will see on the back of the tree there is a white space, and this can be used to write a few words if you want to use the tree as a gift box or to mark table settings.
How to Make the Paper Tree Ornament
You will need:
- Template (download below)
- Cardstock or heavyweight paper
- Scissors or craft knife
- Adhesive (I like glue sticks, however normal white glue or wood glue will work well too)
- Metal ruler or straight edge
- Bone folder (you will use this for scoring the paper or cardstock and this will help to give you crisp edges to your folds)
1/ Download and print the template. Download the template here
|Simple Tree Ornament|
2/ Cut out the shapes, using a craft knife or scissors.
3/ Score along the dotted fold lines using the bone folder and metal ruler. If you are not familiar with scoring, we do this to prepare the paper or cardstock for folding. This means using a bone folder (or blunt knife) and carefully drawing this down the side of the ruler along the fold line. This breaks the fibers in the paper and will make it much easier to fold a straight line
Start adhering the edges together to form the tree shape. If you want to use this as a gift box leave the bottom of the tree shape open and seal it with a sticker or piece of tape when ready.
Tips for finishing your DIY paper ornament:
- Think about how you want to display the ornament before you start. If you plan to hang the ornament from a tree then try adding a piece of looped ribbon or cord into the top of the ornament when you are adhering the edges together.
- If you want to make a bigger or smaller tree, simply adjust the size on your printer settings.
- Add sparkle to your ornament with some glitter or glitter glue!
New Papercraft Club
We hope you enjoy this papercraft project from Make Breaks 🙂 If you love interesting paper crafts, you may be interested in our new papercraft club where we’ll be creating more ambitious papercraft projects:
Sign up HERE!