Make a cute DIY paper photo ornament with our free printable template (see below). You will see this template has room for you to place three photos. This is a great way to make a personal keepsake ornament for a loved one. This patterned ornament is ready colored, so all you need to do is to print onto plain white heavyweight paper or light cardstock to create this ornament.
In addition to the ornament template, you will see I have included a template which you can use to cut photos to size to fit the ornament.
How to Make the Paper Photo Ornament
You will need:
- Template (download below)
- Cardstock or heavyweight paper
- Scissors or craft knife
- Adhesive (I like glue sticks, however normal white glue or wood glue will work well too)
- Metal ruler or straight edge
- Bone folder (you will use this for scoring the paper or cardstock and this will help to give you crisp edges to your folds)
1/ Download and print the template. Download the template here
|Photo Ornament (292 downloads)|
2/ Cut out the shapes, using a craft knife or scissors.
3/ Score along the dotted fold lines using the bone folder and metal ruler. If you are not familiar with scoring, we do this to prepare the paper or cardstock for folding. This means using a bone folder (or blunt knife) and carefully drawing this down the side of the ruler along the fold line. This breaks the fibers in the paper and will make it much easier to fold a straight line
Start adhering the edges together.
Tip: I suggest attaching the photo to the ornament before starting to compile the model as it is easier to put pressure on the card to adhere the photo when the cardstock is flat. That’s not to say it’s impossible to do it afterwards, it’s just that a little extra care is required!
Tips for finishing your DIY paper ornament:
- Think about how you want to display the ornament before you start. If you plan to hang the ornament from a tree then try adding a piece of looped ribbon or cord into the top of the ornament when you are adhering the edges together.
- If you want to make a bigger or smaller tree, simply adjust the size on your printer settings.
- Add sparkle to your ornament with some glitter or glitter glue!
New Papercraft Club
We hope you enjoy this papercraft project from Make Breaks 🙂 If you love interesting paper crafts, you may be interested in our new papercraft club where we’ll be creating more ambitious papercraft projects:
Sign up HERE!